Saturday, February 21, 2009

$$ Tip: Test Your Old Seeds First


Do you have some partial packs of old seeds lying around, and you really want those shiny new packs at the store? It can be a problem... I recently went through all my seed and found some that is 10 years old! I decided to test the germination before I toss them; you can do this too.

Put it in water in a bowl and soak till it swells, maybe overnight. Rinse well, toss any seed that won't sprout (no germ or broken), drain well, then cover the bowl with a damp paper towel.

You're creating a nice warm environment for sprouting. Keep towel moist and check seed a couple times a day. If you see any spoiled seed, toss it. Rinse seed.

Within a couple days, you'll see sprouts like these. I grew them for a few days like this. Now they're actually in the fridge till I get time to plant this week. My germination rate looks about 50/50, and took zero effort. Not bad for some seed from 2002.


No comments:

Post a Comment