Monday, February 23, 2009

My Earth Box


Playing in the dirt now gets more scientific with the Earth Box, a patented self-watering Garden Kit developed by a company in PA.

I set it up last week on my day off, these photos show its structure and the organic amendments in position for the bumper crops! It's now in operation with the first planting of spinach. I'm determined to raise more food on my porch; last year, I didn't get much yield because even the large containers dried out so quickly. It's a great microclimate with shelter from the wind and lots of sunshine, so I'm experimenting with this new product. I'll document its progress. I plan to follow spinach with peppers and something else, a tough decision...


I'm looking at their kits for the classroom too, complete with curriculum guides for kindergarten through high school. It's my dream to see every school develop an "Edible Schoolyard" and have access to that living laboratory for study and delicious lunches.

And speaking of science, let me drop a little on 'planting by the moon'. I got Ed Hume's guide which I like 'cause it confirms what I'm feelin sometimes and keeps me on track with my timing. I've followed planting by the moon for decades and there's always more to learn. Principally, that the moon has a pull on plants just like the tides, and if you 'work wid it' you can increase your effectiveness and harmony in the garden. So... science meets spirit too.

We're in a 'new moon' phase right now, and by the 25th and 26th, moon will be 'waxing' (getting bigger) and in a fertile sign, Pisces. Green light! This will be great for putting in the first peas and cool weather crops. Sure, it's still on the cool side, but give it a shot, and you can get into this riddim, too. We're not gardening in a vacuum, not outside anyway. There are lots of natural forces at work and play, so it's a chance to tune into these and see what happens. I'll mention more as I blog on.

About those natural forces...yeah, give thanks for those. It's so nice to 'get out' by this time of winter and get some o dat fresh air, sunshine, wind, freedom and color again. Rudolf Steiner formulated this whole approach to gardening "biodynamically" way back in the 20's. Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment