Friday, February 6, 2009

The Challenge: "Small is Beautiful"


What can you grow on a 5'x10' balcony? A whole heap o' paradise as it turns out. My goal is always to provide a habitat first, it's a huge sign of success when the first birds decide to check it out and come by to serenade me.


So, get some large pots, say 14"-20" (watch the weight), because they'll dry out less. You need saucers for each so those who live below you don't live in the rain every day when you water! I went with plastic for less cost and weight and less evaporation than clay. Home Depot has the cheapest, nicest looking around here. Avoid black for less heat. But, if you're strapped for cash, check out the bins at nurseries where people can recycle their pots, and put some to use. Little ones are good for starting plants, more on that lata.


Last year, I watered at least once a day when the warm weather kicked in. This year, I'm going to try some self-watering containers to provide a more stable environment for my thirsty veg, herbs and flowers. You'll get better yields if the plants don't get stressed. I'm looking at EarthBoxes, they're a patented system but also an investment. And, I'm definitely trying some self-watering inserts that you can put into your large pots--Gardeners' Supply has those for a nice price.


Online, you can easily find sites that show you how to make self-watering systems out of 5 gallon buckets and rubbermaid containers. They're not pretty though, so I won't use them where beauty matters. Think of your garden as a showcase no matter where it is---it can have a positive effect on anyone who sees it, walks by every day, shows their kids what peas look like when they're growing (and taste like!) so make it beautiful.







No comments:

Post a Comment