Friday, February 13, 2009

Ready, Set.....



It's time to get everything lined up for the first plantings, yes already!
Pick up a seed catalogue and see what you want to eat. Check your seed you have and buy what's needed early. I'll discuss testing germination of old seed in a future post, so don't toss it yet. You can put in some lettuce seed and mustard, a salad mix, those hardy greens. I'll start with pac choi, lettuce, and some parsley seed. Within a couple weeks, I'll put in the first round of peas. I like to grow shell, sugar snap and snow peas, so I just stagger the plantings.

I went to the nursery today, and decided that in this terrifying economic time, I needed to invest in myself and my health, and I bought an Earth Box! This is the patented self-watering planter box that claims very good yields. I'll use it for vegetables on my balcony. I can't wait to set it up.

I got peat pots too for starting peas, tomatoes, onions, spinach, peppers, salad mixes. I like to start them at home for transplanting later into the community garden where they're more vulnerable as seedlings.

The nurseries are just starting to get plants in; they have bareroot strawberries which you can grow in pots. If you're blessed with more land, get some bareroot asparagus, rhubarb, grapes, berries, even horseradish etc. You'll save money by buying bareroot anything now; you can pot them up if your ground isn't ready and have your own nursery!

I haven't found herb starts yet, but I'll feature them in a post soon on growing herbs on a sunny windowsill.

No comments:

Post a Comment