Sunday, February 15, 2009

Look on the Bright Side

Today, I came home early unexpectedly because of slow business where I work, yeah, I was feelin low and trying to stay some full strides ahead o' mi worst fears. Everywhere I turn it seems, time tough and gettin more so.

What to do? Head out to the farm, my balcony in this case, and see what a gwan...


A little chilly, but there's a lot to do now that I'm out here. The Oregano is wakin up, and the green plant on the right is a righteous weed, Chickweed, in fact. Now this is a good herb to know and eat. Very nutritious and tasty in salads, try some, it's free. It makes a nice living mulch for spring too, watch for it in your patch and make use of it now. A good spring tonic.


The catnip is juicy and tender right now, just the way kitties prefer. I use it for a relaxing tea as well, and I love it---purrrrrr....


A shot of my Thyme pot, just needs a little food and attention and it's ready to cut for some Jamaican rice and peas. I feel better already!



Onto some real harvesting! I scattered some carrot seed in a pot late last fall just for fun, and now I'm pulling some real baby carrots, and they're great! This amazes me, because they survived snow and freezing temps 2 mos. ago. Now I feel like I'm absorbing all that cool cosmic energy that they've grown up with---you just can't buy that in the store!



This is another experiment that went well from 08. I grew a Habanero in a pot; they have a very long season, think tropical, so by the fall, it was just thinking about fruiting and wouldn't survive the winter outside. So I brought it inside and it's become a pet. Look at all the flowers...I'll put it outside into a bigger pot and hopefully have a habanero tree this summer.

Cool, I got started out there, and I feel so much better. Next, I'll be starting some peas and onions in peat pots. I'm lovin the future once more.



No comments:

Post a Comment