Sunday, July 26, 2009

U-Pick Blues

Yesterday I headed out to Bear Hollow Blueberry Heaven to pick high bush blueberries for the winter stash. Wow, what a place. These bushes were planted in 1948, they're unsprayed and grown with organic methods, but not certified (it's very costly). I love where these berries live!
At $1.75 per pound, I know I'll be savin some serious dough over Farmers' Market prices. I could get some deals at the market, but they're usually grown with chemicals. Plus, I love to pick. Try it, get out there and see where your food lives, it's pretty cool. Much more interesting than the supermarket.

Blues are a superfood, and these are so plentiful, it's like pickin clusters of grapes. I hope I brought enough money, 'cause it'll be hard to stop!

At the back where I like to pick is this old railroad trestle, usually you can hear some hawks around, songbirds, and there's hardly anyone else here. Guess the heat scared people off. Lucky for me, some of these bushes haven't even been touched.

In about 2 hours, I picked 14 1/2 pounds, these are gallon milk jugs filled to the top. All these cost me less than $24.00. I am so stoked! Home to jam!

Into the kitchen for a ginger beer break, assess the jam recipes and assemble the equipment. Wait till you see how quick and easy this is.



No comments:

Post a Comment