Sunday, March 15, 2009

The "Potato Bag"

A St. Patrick's Day Special--
If you've never eaten fingerling potatoes, try some this year. They're so good they're almost self-buttering, seriously delicious. And this is the year to grow some taters, it's like diggin up gold at the end of the rainbow when it's time to harvest.
Now's the time to plant:
Since I don't have much room, I bought these cool 'Potato Bags' from Gardeners' Supply, and here's how I set them up on 'bare' ground.

I use cardboard as a weed barrier and because I want good drainage on the bottom so I can use it more than one year, no rotting. This is great for any kind of path you want to make, and you can throw it down right on top of the weeds too. Here, I'm covering bare gravelly dirt where some pots had been.

Use a coarse mulch on top that won't break down quickly under foot traffic. Make it twice as deep as you think, it settles; you want all the cardboard covered completely.

Details on the planting bag.

The bag set in place and ready for dirt. I filled it 1/3 full with a nice mix that I mixed up in the wheelbarrow: Planting mix, compost, and mushroom compost, with veg food mixed in too.

Do you have some potatoes like this in the cupboard? These are various organic market spuds that just need to be planted now. Aren't they pretty? A gift from my daughter.

Four purple potatoes and one gold in this bag, in place, before covering with soil. As they grow, I'll continue to add soil. Territorial says you can expect 10 times yield from what you plant for regular potatoes, and 15 to 20 times for fingerlings. Sounds good to me. And they're so easy to plant and care for. You can buy seed potatoes now at the nursery too. Pick up some other starts if you need them, like onions, lettuce, spinach and peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment